We all like to save on our homeowners insurance. If possible, we also prefer to avoid filing claims for a collapsed deck or a deck that has damaged the house by pulling away. They key is to be proactive. If you maintain your deck, then you can avoid some major and costly problems.
What should you do to maintain your deck?
1. If there is debris such as dead bugs or food between the boards, remove it as soon as possible. If you leave these things there, they can attract bugs that might damage the wood. That damaged wood can weaken the deck and in time, you will need to replace it.
2. Clean the deck every year. Choose a day when it isn't hot and take everything off the deck. You can use a cleaner found at home improvement stores. It's easy, just follow the directions. Then apply a sealant. You can easily do this, or you might want to hire someone to do this for you. Cleaning the deck will keep debris from rotting the wood, and sealing it will keep water from damaging the wood.
3. Look for loose nails annually and replace with deck screws. Look underneath your deck as well. Pay close attention to the ledger. This is the piece that connects the deck to the house. You want to be sure it isn't pulling away from the house and that it isn't damaged. If you don't feel confident doing this, then hire someone to inspect the deck and tighten it up. This will help your deck last longer, and will keep it from pulling away from the house.
4. Get a termite inspection each year, just as you do for your house. If you live in the south, check for carpenter bees too. There are some additives to sealants that you can use to discourage carpenter bees from damaging your deck.
5. Check any metal for rust and give railings a hard shake to be sure they aren't loose.
If this sounds like a lot of work, you can always hire someone to do it for you. In the long run, it helps save money because your deck will last longer.
We care about the safety of your home. Call Wilgus Insurance Agency at 844-494-5487 for more information on home insurance.
Contact Wilgus Insurance Agency today or visit one of our locations below!
1203 Pemberton Dr. Salisbury, MD 21801
400 Delaware Ave 103 Millsboro , DE 19966
10977 State St. 1 Delmar, DE 19940
22937 Sussex Hwy. Seaford, DE 19973
W Martin St Raleigh, NC 27603